Home » Gates of Korea: Namdaemun, Yeongeunmun, Gwanghwamun, Heunginjimun by Books LLC
Gates of Korea: Namdaemun, Yeongeunmun, Gwanghwamun, Heunginjimun Books LLC

Gates of Korea: Namdaemun, Yeongeunmun, Gwanghwamun, Heunginjimun

Books LLC

Published October 14th 2010
ISBN : 9781158564040
Paperback
24 pages
Enter the sum

 About the Book 

Chapters: Namdaemun, Yeongeunmun, Gwanghwamun, Heunginjimun. Source: Wikipedia. Pages: 22. Not illustrated. Free updates online. Purchase includes a free trial membership in the publishers book club where you can select from more than a millionMoreChapters: Namdaemun, Yeongeunmun, Gwanghwamun, Heunginjimun. Source: Wikipedia. Pages: 22. Not illustrated. Free updates online. Purchase includes a free trial membership in the publishers book club where you can select from more than a million books without charge. Excerpt: Sungnyemun or more commonly known as Namdaemun is a historic gate located in the heart of Seoul, the capital of South Korea. The landmark is officially called Sungnyemun, literally Gate of Exalted Ceremonies, as written in hanja on a plaque on the wooden structure. As the southern gate of the original walls surrounding Seoul during the Joseon Dynasty, it is widely known as Namdaemun, literally Great Southern Gate. It is the first among the National Treasures of South Korea. However, because the Japanese advocated the name Namdaemun during their colonization to erase the Korean Empires spirit, people are increasingly calling the gate Sungnyemun. The wooden portion atop the gate was severely damaged by arson in the 2008 Namdaemun fire. Sungnyemun in 1904. Sungnyemun before the fire in 2008Before the 2008 fire, Namdaemun was the oldest wooden structure in Seoul. The city gate, made of wood and stone with a two-tiered, pagoda-shaped tiled roof, was completed in 1398 and originally used to greet foreign emissaries, control access to the capital city, and keep out Korean tigers, which have long been gone from the area. Construction began in 1395 during the fourth year of the reign of King Taejo of Joseon and was finished in 1398. The structure was rebuilt in 1447 and was renovated several times since. It was originally one of three main gates, the others being the East Gate (Dongdaemun) and the now-demolished West Gate in the Seodaemun-gu district, named after the old gate. In the early part of the 20th century, the city walls that surrounded Seoul were demolished, ostensibly to make the traffic system more efficient. A visit to Seoul by the Crown Prince of...http: //booksllc.net/?id=559259